Pre-Law Student Intern
The Grand Rapids based law firm of Miller Johnson is seeking to hire a GVSU student as an intern for the fall 2013 academic semester. The internship is intended to provide a pre-law student with exposure to a law firm and attorneys.
The ideal candidate will be a junior or senior in college who intends to go to law school to pursue a legal career. The student should have a minimum 3.0 GPA and a demonstrated commitment toward diversity and inclusion.
The position is scheduled for 10 hours per week while college is in session during the fall 2013 academic semester. The student will not work immediately preceding and during exams or during breaks. The pay is $10 per hour.
The type of work to be performed will include the following:
· Legal support such as document review and deposition summaries.
· Opportunities to work with attorneys and observe attorneys “in action” in court and other legal proceedings.
· Assistance with the firm’s diversity and inclusion function. For example, the intern may help coordinate firm D & I activities and events.
· Assistance with the firm’s Human Resources function. For example, the intern may gather and compile information regarding the community involvement of attorneys and staff.
Interested candidates should submit the following to Professor Mark Richards by no later than 4:00 pm June 1, 2013:
· A current resume
· A transcript. Printouts or pdfs of unofficial transcripts will be accepted in order to allow applicants to meet the deadline, but applicants must also request an official transcript be mailed to the address below.
· A brief statement of suitability in terms of your interest in pursuing a legal career and in terms of your commitment to diversity and inclusion.
· A writing sample. The writing sample should be a written project, report or paper produced for a class at GVSU. Applicants may revise the writing sample prior to submission.
Applications may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications may also be submitted in person to the Political Science Department office, 1121 Au Sable Hall. Applications may also be mailed to:
Professor Mark Richards
Department of Political Science
1121 Au Sable Hall
1 Campus Drive
Allendale, MI 49401
Finalists will be interviewed at Miller Johnson by the Diversity Partner and the Director of Human Resources in June. The successful candidate will begin work in September 2013.